Friday, July 8, 2011

The Hunger Games

374 pages

My Impressions:

1. I am really enjoying the way that the author is setting up the plot. Although so far in the book, there has not been much crazy action, the author is giving a lot of background knowledge about the country: "Panem". So far, I have learned that there are 12 Districts. I compare the Districts to States. District 1 is the wealthiest, and as the number goes up, the Districts are poorer. The main character lives in the poorest District (District 12). Her name is Katniss. She has a little sister named Prim who she takes care of. Her mother is not very good at taking care of the children so Katniss sort of acts like the head of the family. Her father is dead, so her way of getting food on the table is hunting in the woods outside of District 12. She hunts with a boy named Gale who she is obviously in love with although she does not admit it. So far, the book has explained a lot about "the capitol" which controls the Districts. It reminds me of how the federal government has ultimate power over the states (except far more extreme). There is a lot of corruption within the capitol. I can see some parellelism between the nation of Panem and our nation. However, Panem definitely has more exaggerated corruption. I am enjoying the conversations that Gale and Katniss have about the Capitol in the woods. The authors use of their conversations are helping give me a lot of background about their nation. So far, the book is a total page turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment